Friday, February 10, 2012

**Family Recipe Friday**


Happy Friday everyone. I made Picaros in honor of Nana Mary. She is my husband's grandma on his dad's side. She was a wonderful lady. She always dressed up and had her hair and makeup done everyday. This dish is special in this family. Before I met my husband I had never heard of them. So don't feel crazy if this meal is new to you. Nana lived in Flagstaff, Arizona for many years and I believe that's where they come from. 
Years ago when their was a new baby in the family, Nana would make up a batch of these and bring them to the family. They are easy to reheat. That way they don't have to worry about cooking. We have kept the tradition going and my mother in-law made these for us when we had our children. The day before Nana's memorial service I made up some picaros in honor of her and every time since then I think of her when I make them.
They are a family favorite all around. Last night my daughter, Mia, ate three! She's six years old and she doesn't eat very much, unless it's cake or something sweet. This is my stepson, Seth's (age 11) favorite dinner. He can eat an entire tray of them. He'll be happy to know that I saved him a few. 

 It's shredded chicken cooked with salsa. lightly fry the corn tortilla, roll it up with some cheese and bake in the oven. 





2 comments:

  1. Hi! That looks really yummy! Do you have a recipe for it on here? I couldn't find it?? I think my kids would love this too...could you please post the recipe for this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 2 boneless skinless chicken breast (season with salt and pepper)

      20 corn tortillas

      1 jar la victoria salsa

      2 cups grated cheese (I use colby jack)

      Preheat oven 350
      Brown the chicken and shred it and mash it up as it cooks. when it's close to being done add the salsa. torn heat down and let simmer and the juices will reduce. Lightly fry tortillas. Roll everything up in tortilla. place on a lined baking sheet and cook for 30 min.

      I hope this was what you were looking for. Please let me know how they turn out.

      Delete