Monday, January 30, 2012

Classy Chassis BBQ



My husband's birthday was this past weekend and I threw him a great party. My hubby loves food just like me. I went with a BBQ theme. I wish I had pictures of all the things I made. I started last Monday with the baby back ribs. I had 6 racks! I used 3 different flavors of dry rubs. Wrapped them in plastic wrap and aluminum foil. Put them in the freezer for a few days. This is a tip I seen on a TV show that a chef at Disneyland did. The chef said by freezing the meat with the dry rub it helps the flavor penetrate the meat better. I think it worked! I let them defrost in the refrigerator for a few days and cooked them in the oven, bone side up, on Friday. Low and slow. Saturday, the day of the party, the ribs were already cooked. I threw them on the grill just to reheat them and did a few layers of BBQ sauce. My favorite is Sweet Baby Ray's!
To continue with the BBQ theme I made a cornbread like cake in my cast iron skillet. It was sweet and moist. I added a can of cream corn so it had some texture to it. Mmmm! I made drumsticks in the crock pot. 15 drumsticks, 1 bottle BBQ sauce, low heat for 6 hours. Great for the kids. I have some chicken leftover that I want to make into some BBQ shredded chicken sandwiches.
My mom has the most amazing potato salad recipe on the planet! I have heard hundreds of people rave over this dish since as far back as I can remember. One of the most common things I hear people say is "I don't like potato salad but I love that!" Her ingredients are all soft. No onion! No celery! It has cubes of cheese, egg, bacon, sweet pickle. I wasn't going to make it for the party because it's so time consuming but my Mommy is the best. She came over early on Saturday and we made it together.
Birthday cake and ice cream? Nope. Birthday Snickers cheesecake and homemade chocolate peanut butter swirl ice cream! For the holidays I usually make a sour cream cheesecake. My husband requested this year I make one for his birthday too. I couldn't do the same old thing, Christmas was just a few weeks ago. I did an Oreo cookie crust instead of the graham cracker. I almost had to make 2 batches because I couldn't keep him out of the kitchen when I was making it and he kept eating it all. I bought 3 snickers. Chopped up, put half in the mix and saved the other half for the top. Then drizzled with caramel and chocolate. Toped off with home made whipped cream. For the ice cream I made a peanut butter sauce and added it to a chocolate base. The peanut butter was sweetened with brown sugar, and corn syrup.
In the post below I have some pictures of the baby back ribs before I wrapped them with aluminum foil and froze them. I'll be sure to take more pictures to share. This time you'll have to use your imagination.

3 comments: